Leading news website needs new funding

first_img MalaysiaAsia – Pacific Reporters Without Borders, an organisation that defends press freedom worldwide, supports the appeal for help being made by The Nut Graph (http://thenutgraph.com/), an independent Malaysian news website launched in August 2008 that is strapped for cash because its original investors have decided they cannot continue funding it.“The Nut Graph is one of the few news websites in Malaysia that is objective and impartial and checks its facts,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Committed to responsible journalism ever since its creation, it has become an indispensible source of information that can explain Malaysian politics. We are very worried by its possible disappearance, which would seriously weaken media diversity in Malaysia.”Nowadays widely used by university academics and researchers, the site launched a fund-raising appeal on 1 August after its original investors said in May that they would not be able to continue funding it beyond next March (http://www.thenutgraph.com/the-nut-graph-needs-your-support).In particular, Reporters Without Borders supports the requests for help that it has addressed to the Konrad Adenauer Foundation, the Global Fund for Women, the Asia Foundation, Free Voice, the National Endowment for Democracy and the Open Society Institute. Its closure would put half a dozen journalists out of work.Online free expression is a fraught and complex issue in Malaysia, where the authorities tend to regard the Internet as an opposition medium. The Internal Security Act, which allows the authorities to detain people for up to two years without trial, has been used to arrest two leading bloggers, Raja Petra “RPK” Kamaruddin and P. Uthayakumar.Held from 12 September to 7 November last year, RPK still faces defamation and sedition charges in connection with articles posted on his Malaysia Today (http://mt.m2day.org/2008/) blog. August 4, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Leading news website needs new funding New Malaysian ordinance threatens very concept of truth News March 17, 2021 Find out more to go further Help by sharing this information News Receive email alerts Newscenter_img February 22, 2021 Find out more RSF_en Follow the news on Malaysia MalaysiaAsia – Pacific Record fine for Malaysian news site over readers’ comments Organisation News Malaysian cartoonist Zunar facing possible sedition charge again January 29, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Character filled Queenslander ripe for restoration

first_img Your very own castle on the sand “I really like the lounge room with the fireplace, old cedar cupboards, high ceiling and sash windows.” The house has two generously sized bedrooms off the main hallway as well as a large living space with fireplace. There is a second living area at the end of the hallway with a third bedroom, bathroom and utility room with toilet opening off the space. The big eat-in kitchen features an original brick fireplace.Ms Muller said from what she has been able to work out, the home was one of the original houses in the area. More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus11 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market11 hours agoThe original fireplaces are still in the home. Picture: supplied.“The property was originally 50 acres when it was purchased from the crown in 1863,” she said. “It has been owned by seven lots of people including the Jacksons and Buchbachs and it was a Methodist Manse for a while. “I’ve spoken to some locals who used to attend Sunday school there at one point. “Everyone seems to know the home but there seems to be conflicting stories.” Ms Muller said while the time had come to sell the home, she was still working with local historians to find out the true history of the home. “It would be great if we could at least get an old photo of the house,” she said.The property is on the market through Tony Pennisi of The Property Hub. Character home with sea breezes and dual livingcenter_img The Queenslander at 41 City Rd, Beenleigh. Picture: supplied. This heritage listed home is one for those keen to undertake a restoration project. The circa 1910 Queenslander sits on a 1012sq m block at 41 City Rd, Beenleigh and has plenty of character features including a wraparound veranda, high ceilings, original fretwork, Australian cedar cupboards, VJ walls and an original double-sided fireplace. Owners Juanita Muller and Matt Horan are hoping to pass the home on to someone who will appreciate its history. “I’d love to see it restored into a beautiful grand house,” Ms Muller said. “Most of the house is in pretty good condition. The actual structure of the home is pretty solid and it has such a nice feel to it. Inside the living room at 41 City Rd, Beenleigh. Picture: supplied. RELATED: Rare seaside estate hits the market last_img read more

Chelsea have ‘problems’ but Conte doesn’t want sympathy

first_imgLondon, United Kingdom | AFP | Antonio Conte insists he isn’t looking for sympathy despite admitting Chelsea are facing problems at the start of their Premier League title defence.Conte has been frustrated by Chelsea’s failure to land his top transfer targets while the champions’ title rivals embarked on multi-million pound spending sprees.The Chelsea manager’s public complaints about the size of his squad have grown louder since his club’s decision to sanction the sale of Nemanja Matic to Manchester United.Asked about Conte’s grumbling, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger aimed a jibe at the Italian this week, pointing to Chelsea sending numerous players out on loan in recent weeks.With Conte also having fallen out with star striker Diego Costa during the close-season, former England captain Alan Shearer has said there is “something brewing which isn’t nice” at Stamford Bridge.Now Conte has conceded it hasn’t been plain sailing for Chelsea as they prepare for their Premier League opener at home to Burnley on Saturday.“We are facing different problems. But we must be ready to try to do our best tomorrow,” he told reporters on Friday. But despite Chelsea’s troubles, the former Juventus coach claimed he doesn’t care what anyone thinks about his club’s predicament.“I’m not looking for sympathy of any coaches for this situation. This is my message,” Conte said.“The situation is clear. If the club decide to send on loan players for their development it’s because these players are not ready to play for Chelsea.“It’s simple. I think I’m the coach of this team. My aim is to try to improve my players, to try to improve my team.“I repeat: my only task is to focus on the pitch, what happens on the pitch, during the training session to work with my players. This must be my focus during this period.“The club knows very well what is my opinion. And then I repeat: the club is trying to do their best on the transfer market.”Share on: WhatsApp Pages: 1 2last_img read more