Jun 18, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – A Vietnamese health ministry official announced 2 days ago that a 20-year-old man had died of H5N1 avian influenza, marking the country’s first death from the disease in about 18 months.Trinh Quan Huan, Vietnam’s vice health minister, told Vietnam News Agency (VNA) that the man fell ill on Jun 2 and died on Jun 10, two days after he was hospitalized, according to an Associated Press (AP) report today.VNA reported that the man’s family raised about two dozen fighting cocks and some ducks, the AP story said.If the World Health Organization (WHO) confirms the man’s case, as well as four other cases reported by Vietnam over the past few weeks, the country’s H5N1 case count will rise to 98, with 43 deaths. For now, the WHO count for Vietnam stands at 93 cases and 42 deaths.Two Vietnamese patients who were recently diagnosed with H5N1 infections have been released from hospitals, while two others remain under care, according to the AP report. All are from northern provinces, and all were reported to have had contact with sick or dead birds.Vietnam has been battling several poultry H5N1 outbreaks since early May. Animal-health officials today announced that almost 700 ducks and chickens died at eight farms in Bac Giang province in northern Vietnam, bringing the number of affected provinces to 16, Reuters reported.”Bird flu virus is widely present in the environment and has infected many poultry flocks. Therefore, it can happen anywhere now,” said a government statement quoting Deputy Agriculture Minister Bui Ba Bong, according to the Reuters report.The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) recently published a report on its investigation of Vietnam’s recent bird outbreaks. It attributed the unseasonable outbreaks to an increase in the numbers of ducks, many unvaccinated, that were released to graze on newly harvested rice paddies.Meanwhile, agriculture officials in Bangladesh said today that H5N1 avian flu has spread to two farms in Jaipurhat district, prompting the culling of 7,000 chickens, according to a Reuters story.The outbreaks, which began in March, have now affected 14 of the country’s 64 districts, the Reuters report said. Bangladesh has had no confirmed human H5N1 cases.See also:WHO H5N1 case countJun 7 FAO reporthttp://www.fao.org/avianflu/news/vietnam.html
Topics : Forgot Password ? Log in with your social account Facebook Google LOG INDon’t have an account? Register here Linkedin Indonesia will seek to prove it has legal and exclusive rights to waters beyond 200 nautical miles north of Papua province when it makes its case at the United Nations this week in a bid to expand its territory in search of potential mineral reserves.Having submitted its claim over an extended continental shelf area to the UN Commission on the Limit of the Continental Shelf (UNCLCS) in April last year, the government will make its case at a hearing with the UN body in New York, the United States, this Wednesday.According to the 1982 UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), the continental shelf is an area of the seabed and any layer of subsoil underneath the water column where a country could exercise its sovereign right to explore and exploit natural and biological resources.Countries have the right to extend their continental shelf border beyond the prescribed 200 naut… Indonesia mineral-resources economic-diplomacy maritime-boundaries policy UNCLOS
After competing weekly for over a month in the Hauser Volleyball League, the Batesville JV Volleyball Team participated in the final tournament on Monday, July 15th. The Lady Bulldogs would go undefeated on the day earning strong wins over Hauser, Columbus North, and finally North Decatur to capture the 2019 Hauser Summer League Championship trophy.Courtesy of Bulldogs Coach Shelly Prickel.
Lionel Messi set another LaLiga record on Saturday as Barcelona made a winning return in LaLiga.Madrid, Spain | AFP | Lionel Messi returned without a beard and with a goal and two assists as Barcelona resumed their La Liga title challenge on Saturday with a thumping 4-0 victory over Real Mallorca.After three months away because of the coronavirus pandemic, Barca exploded into the lead with just 64 seconds played when Arturo Vidal headed in and Martin Braithwaite struck a second from a Messi headed assist.Jordi Alba latched onto a Messi pass to add a third but not before play was briefly stopped by a pitch invader, who was able to run on, despite the match being closed to fans.Messi then scored a fourth in injury time for his 25th goal of the season.“I’m happy because starting like this is an enormous boost for what’s to come,” said Barcelona coach Quique Setien.Victory extends Barca’s advantage at the top of La Liga to five points over Real Madrid, who can reduce the gap back to two when they restart at home to Eibar on Sunday.La Liga’s first match back came on Thursday between Sevilla and Real Betis, with teams scheduled to each play their remaining 11 matches of the season in less than six weeks.Messi will be crucial to Barcelona’s hopes of holding off Madrid but their captain, who turns 33 this month, may have to pace himself, especially after an injury-interrupted season.Clean shaven, and without any sign of the thigh problem that prevented him from training earlier this month, Messi played 90 minutes and looked like he had never been away.– Suarez back –His goal was set up by Luis Suarez and the sight of the Uruguayan coming off the bench would have been welcome for coach Setien too.Suarez has not played since undergoing knee surgery in January and was able to recover during the suspension. He could play an important part in the run-in.Asked what pleased him most, Setien said: “The satisfaction of seeing Luis again on the field. You have to admire the performance he gave in those 35 minutes that he played. Starting like this is very important for him and for the team as well.” Mallorca, who sit 18th in La Liga, were never going to offer the sternest of tests but this was a useful outing for both Barcelona’s fitness and morale.Before matches were suspended in Spain because of coronavirus on March 12, Barca had regained top spot but only after being convincingly beaten by Madrid the week before.This performance suggests time away might have done them good and it remains to be seen now how Madrid respond. Madrid’s next four matches all come after their title rivals have played first.Barcelona were in front after just over a minute as Frenkie de Jong did well to recover the ball from a loose touch before Alba sent a deep cross to the arriving Vidal, who headed in.Mallorca were under relentless pressure as Braithwaite and Messi both went close to adding a second. Mallorca’s Takefusa Kubo, on loan from Real Madrid, forced a good save out of Marc-Andre ter Stegen on the break.But Barca scored a second before half-time as an Alba cross span up and both De Jong and then Messi feathered headers across for Braithwaite to bang in on the half-volley, his first goal for the club.Both teams eased off in the second period and there were smiles on the Barcelona players’ faces when a pitch invader ran on in the 52nd minute wearing an Argentina shirt. He posed for a picture with Alba before being escorted away.Alba added a third after finishing off Messi’s clipped ball over the top and then Messi grabbed a goal himself. Suarez fooled his marker by letting the ball run across his body and Messi weaved inside where he could unleash with his right foot.Mallorca’s defeat, combined with losses for Leganes and Celta Vigo, made it the perfect day for Espanyol, who made up ground on their relegation rivals by beating Alaves.Chinese striker Wu Lei, who tested positive for coronavirus in March, scored on his first game back to seal a 2-0 victory and put Espanyol within three points of safety.They are now level on points with Leganes, who lost 2-1 at home to Real Valladolid, and three behind Celta, who conceded in the 91st minute for a 1-0 defeat by Villarreal. Share on: WhatsApp
A new charitable trust, supported by England Golf, was launched today and will provide grants and bursaries for boys and girls who need financial help to play the game. The England Golf Trust replaces and extends the scope of the former EWGA Trust for girls’ golf. It is being backed by ambassadors, BBC presenter Naga Munchetty and European Tour professional Robert Rock. Naga sent a message to today’s launch event at King’s Norton Golf Club, Worcestershire, saying: “Every time I play I see the effect that that game has on the development of young people’s personal skills, confidence and values – and this is why I am delighted to be associated with the England Golf Trust. “Young people are the lifeblood of our golf clubs so helping them to play golf in a fun environment should be encouraged by us all.” The Trust will help young people, aged under 21 or in full-time education, who are in financial need and who, without this support, would not be able to play golf. It will award grants and bursaries. Money which was given to the EWGA Trust to help girls has been ring fenced and the Angela Uzielli and Bellamy Bursaries will also be open only to girls. But all future money will be available for both boys and girls. Trust chairman Di Horsley said: “It became clear that to make a real difference to young people, we should have a trust supporting both boys and young men as well as girls and young women. “The England Golf Trust fills a gap by offering help to young people who genuinely can’t afford to play golf, but who love the sport. It will give them the opportunity to stay in the game, to develop life skills including confidence, self-esteem and integrity and to help make up the heart and soul of our golf clubs.” Among those attending the launch were representatives of the PGA and the Golf Foundation, together with four young women who have been helped by the former EWGA Trust and who spoke about the support they had received. They include: Lucy Buckley, from Birmingham, first started playing golf, aged 10, on the Wii – and loved it. Her grandma enrolled her for a series of golf lessons with Greg Lynch, the PGA professional at the local driving range. Greg recognised her potential straight away and encouraged her to join Warley Woods Golf Club, a local municipal nine-hole course, owned by a Community Trust. She’s made impressive progress, helped by a grant from the Trust. Stacey Mitchell was supported by a Bellamy Bursary when she was a self-funded post graduate student at the University of Lincoln. She said: “The grant enabled me to complete my Research Masters on gender inequality in golf which has helped me to achieve my dream role as a Regional Development Officer for The Golf Foundation, also taking a lead on girls’ development for the charity. I am extremely grateful for the support provided by the EWGA Trust.” How to help the Trust: There are two ways to help the Trust, firstly by identifying those young people who need financial support to stay in the game and secondly by encouraging individuals and golf clubs to make a donation, make a bequest or buy a golf diary. To find out more about the Trust, access application forms and different ways to support it please click here Caption: Young golfers at the launch of the England Golf Trust (image © Leaderboard Photography) 4 Aug 2015 England Golf Trust launched to support young players