“Basketball never really seems to be an important sport in Jamaica, so this is a good move to highlight the sport. The game was competitive, but our team dug deep and came out the victors in the end,” Moodie said. Moodie and Deveraux Preston of Majesty Lakers are both recent graduates of the JBA/INSPORTS coaching certification course. Meanwhile, the INSPORTS All-Island Community Football League continued last Sunday, with matches in Westmoreland and Kingston and St Andrew. The results read: Whithorne 0 Walks Road 0; Pullet Lane 0 Bastard Cedar 0; Roaring River 0 Friendship 3; Cornwall 2 Deans Valley 0; V-Cup 1 Georges Plain 2; Blackness 0 Bath 0; Three Miles River 3 Frome 3; Petersfield 3 Shrewsbury Legend 0; Belgium 1 12th Street 0; Harmony Town 0 Darling Street 1; Park 3 New Market 1; Majesty Gardens 1 Drama 0; Hagley Park 2 West Side 1; Conscious United 0 Parade Gardens 0; Caribbean Striker 0 Progressive Youths 0; and Zim Strikers 6 Vision 2. The Institute of Sports (INSPORTS) has reintroduced a mini basketball programme in order to resuscitate the sport locally. The programme, which came back last September, has the blessings of the Jamaica Basketball Association and is being conducted islandwide in schools and communities, noted Calvin Dennis Martin, co-ordinator of the programme. “The programme started last September, bringing basketball to schools and communities. The feedback has been good so far, as the youngsters have been turning out and are eager to learn,” Martin told The Gleaner. Martin also said that they have been to parishes such as Hanover, St James, St Thomas, Kingston and St Andrew to date, but intend to cover the other parishes as well. “Basketball seems to be dying, so the plan is to resuscitate the sport here,” Martin added. An Under-13 Mini Basketball tournament was held over three weekends and ended last Saturday, with Rae Town Warriors beating Majesty Lakers 14-11 in the final at Breezy Castle in Rae Town. Damion Robinson of Rae Town was voted MVP of the tournament. He scored a game-high eight points in the final to lead his team to the trophy. Coach of Rae Town Warriors, Rolondo Moodie, said the game was highly competitive as the youngsters played hard. Competitive game
LONDON (AP): Guus Hiddink returned to Chelsea for a second spell as manager yesterday, hired until the end of the season with the tough task of turning around the struggling Premier League champions following Jose Mourinho’s firing. As Chelsea beat Sunderland 3-1 under the temporary command of Steve Holland, Hiddink watched from the stands at Stamford Bridge with owner Roman Abramovich and former striker Didier Drogba, who has been linked with a coaching role. Drogba scored in Chelsea’s 2009 FA Cup final win when Hiddink previously filled the Chelsea managerial void for around four months after the exit of Luiz Felipe Scolari. The 69-year-old Hiddink’s latest firefighting role comes with Chelsea only four points above the Premier League relegation zone following an alarming slump just seven months after sweeping to the title. “I am excited to return to Stamford Bridge. Chelsea is one of the biggest clubs in the world, but is not where it should be at the moment,” Hiddink said. “However, I am sure we can all turn this season around.” Chelsea said they viewed the Dutchman as a coach with a “wealth of top-level experience and success”. The club highlighted how fans were “singing his name following our final home game” of the 2008-09 season, but it was Mourinho’s name they were still chanting yesterday. Hiddink’s fortunes have faded since he was last at Chelsea. He quit as manager of Turkey after failing to qualify the team for the 2012 European Championship and did not win a trophy with Anzhi Makhachkala during a spell with the Russian club. He has been out of work since being fired by the Netherlands in June during the latter stages of his country’s unsuccessful attempt to qualify for Euro 2016. He had five losses, four victories and a draw during his year in charge of a team that finished third at the 2014 World Cup under Louis van Gaal, now the manager of Manchester United.
SUPREME Ventures Limited (SVL) has emerged as the preferred choice to take over the operations of Caymanas Track Limited (CTL) as the Government seeks to divest the race track.Chief Executive Officer of CTL Cedric Stewart, told The Gleaner that an enterprise team put together by the Ministry of Finance had examined the bids of SVL and Caymanas Racing and Entertainment – a group of investors headed by businessman Richard Lake – and had recommended the gaming company.”A request for proposals (to purchase the park) went out in July, and only two people responded, and the bids were analysed and a decision [taken] as to which bid was best,” said Stewart.The CEO said the ratification would be done by the end of January, with a 60-day period then expected for negotiations to be complete by the start of the new financial year.”That (divestment) is very current. We are expecting it to be completed by April 1, 2016. The enterprise team has completed its work and made its recommendation to Cabinet. Cabinet will decide,” he told The Gleaner in an exclusive interview, yesterday.The enterprise team included several stakeholders, including Stewart himself as well as chairman of CTL, Chris Brown.”That’s just a recommendation to the minister of finance to go to Cabinet and get its approval. It’s very possible that Cabinet would have a different view,” Stewart added.Meanwhile, Stewart said that CTL had registered an $8 million profit from last December’s inaugural Diamond Mile.SVL ($5 million) and the Betting Gaming and Lotteries Commission ($35 million) were the main sponsors of the race for local-bred and imported horses.While noting that race days were normally unprofitable, Stewart said that the track had made $66.5 million from sales from races.”Historically and culturally, when it is sponsored like that you can make a profit, and the aim is to get sponsorship and generate a profit. It can be profitable. It’s just what needs to be done,” said Stewart.He added that while the event, touted as the richest in the English-speaking Caribbean with a purse of US$115,000, had been open to imported horses, none had participated.”We think that it was because it was the inaugural running and it was conceptualised late in the day and information wasn’t passed on in a timely manner, but now that it has become a calendar event, we are expecting we will get horses from Barbados and Trinidad this year,” he said.”The race is December 3 this year, and that is out there so they can organise better,” he said, adding that the company hoped that the Diamond Mile would bring back prestige to local horse racing.”It was supposed to be a prestigious event trying to recapture the former glory where horse racing was the sport of kings and queens and people would come out, and that’s our intention,” he said.
It was a family affair at Vere Technical High School yesterday as athletes from that institution dominated the first staging of the Veronica Campbell-Brown Foundation 5K, with Britnie Dixon and Kimoy Cohen being crowned the respective female and male champions. Campbell Brown, who was present at the meet along with her husband, Omar, and manager Claude Bryan, was very pleased with the support. “We are grateful for the support as it is the first one, and we will build on it for next year. The main thing we are doing is for two reasons: for charity to help the VCB Foundation to help with girls in high school, and for athletes in building a healthy lifestyle,” said Campbell-Brown. As part of her work in philanthropy, among other things, four students are afforded scholarships through the VCB Foundation each year. The race started early in the morning at the school’s main gate, as the athletes journeyed to the Wembley Football Club main gate and back. Dixon stopped the clock at 19 minutes, 13.40 seconds, while Cohen covered the course in 17:09.75. The top-three finishers among the females were all Vere Technical students, as Kris-Ann Plummer, 19:17.64, and Alithia Ferron, 19:31.93, were second and third, respectively. Among the males, second place went to veteran road-race runner Horace Burey, who represented Island Smile, in 17:18.74, while third went to Vere Technical athlete Oshane Lightbody in 18:31.93. On hand at yesterday’s staging were several executive members of the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association in assistant secretary Marie Tavares, committee member Maxine Brown and recorder Ewan Scott.
KINGSTON:St Jago High School scored an emphatic 3.5-0.5 win over Campion College in the final round of the PCJ Group National Schools Chess Championships, to secure the national title for the third consecutive year.After a draw in their round three match, both St Jago A and Calabar High went into the final round tied for the lead with five points each. As a result, both teams needed an outright win to stay on course for the title.With their feet to the fire, Calabar could only manage a 2-2 draw against St Jago B, which left the door wide open for St Jago A, who made no mistake in dispatching Campion College. This left St Jago A alone atop the standings with seven points.Decarteret College took second place on tiebreaker over Calabar, St Jago B and St Catherine A, as each school ended with six points.Individual category prizes were awarded to the zone champions, Mannings High, Glenmuir High, Wolmer’s Boys’, Ardenne High and St Jago High, while Excelsior High’s girls and Wolmer’s Girls were adjudged best female teams.National Master Shreyas Smith and Malik Curiah, both of Calabar, took home the awards for Best Boards one and two, respectively, Glenmuir’s Wayne March was the Best Board three, Best Board four went to St Jago’s Akeem Brown, and the Best Reserve was Tajae Morgan, also of St Jago. St Jago’s coach, National Master Mikhail Solomon, was adjudged the Best Coach.”The 2016 National Schools Chess Competition was efficiently run by the organisers and well contested by the competitors, and we commend the Jamaica Chess Federation for their efforts to engage students across the country in this beneficial sport,” said Camille Taylor, manager, information and corporate affairs of title sponsors Petroleum Corporation of Jamaica.
CRICKET: Twenty20 World CupMUMBAI, India (CMC):Captain Darren Sammy says West Indies are still to put together the “complete game” despite beating Australia by three wickets in their final official warm-up of the Twenty20 World Cup on Sunday.The Windies chased down 162 at Eden Gardens in Kolkata, recovering from a perilous position of 27 for four in the eighth over to get home with a ball to spare.”So far we have not played a complete game. If the top bats well, we have not batted well at the end and if we start off well with the ball, we have not managed to finish well,” Sammy pointed out.”It’s about putting all the pieces together the powerplay, the middle overs and the death overs as well and each player being responsible for the section of the game which they are called upon to play.”The victory came on the back of a brilliant lower order effort led by Sammy, who blasted an unbeaten 50 off 28 balls. He put on a hasty 53 for the seventh wicket with Carlos Brathwaite, who belted 33 from 14 balls, to haul West Indies back into the game.Another all-rounder, Andre Russell, chipped in with a cameo 29 off 15 deliveries, as West Indies scored at over 10 an over the last nine overs of the game.Sammy said the Caribbean side was always confident in their ability to score quickly despite the loss of early wickets.”Those last four overs, with the power we have myself, Carlos and even Ashley (Nurse), we back ourselves to chase 10 to 15 runs an over so it was about staying calm and making sure I got the job done for the team and at the end, any win against Australia is always great,” Sammy said.He also praised the bowling unit for restricting Australia in the late stages of their innings, especially after opener Shane Watson’s 60 off 39 balls had got them away quickly.”They started off with a flyer, but as soon as the ball got a little older, it was more difficult to hit the ball,” Sammy noted.”That was a brilliant comeback from the bowlers and the way the second half of the order chased down that total was really good.”West Indies arrived here yesterday to begin final preparations for their opening group game against England at the Wankhede Stadium tomorrow.
SEVERAL of the country’s top senior and junior athletes will be busy competing at the 122nd staging of the Penn Relays in Franklin Field, Philadelphia, from Thursday to Saturday. Most of these athletes from top high schools and colleges will depart the island today.Top college team, the University of Technology, will be leaving the island this morning through the Norman Manley Airport, while top high school female team Edwin Allen High will depart from the Donald Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay this evening for New York, before driving over to Philadelphia.Several schools, including Kingston College, Holmwood Technical, and Vere Technical, will also be leaving from Montego Bay this afternoon and will head straight to Philadelphia.After winning two titles last year among the girls, head coach of Edwin Allen Michael Dyke is very optimistic.”We are very strong in the 4×100 and 4×800 metres, and despite not running consistently well in the 4×400 metres so far this season, I am confident that the girls can pull it off,” said Dyke.St Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS), Holmwood, and Hydel have posted fast times in the event so far.”Edwin Allen is yet to run at full strength all season, but come this weekend, we will be at full strength as we have three members from last year’s winning team, and a member of the team who was injured for the majority of the season is now fully fit,” Dyke advised.Despite his top half-miler Cemore Donald, not competing at Penns this season, Dyke is confident that they will pull it off in the 4×800 metres.”Donald (Cemore) is just in Class Three and we are not taking her this year as we risk not having her in the final year of competition as an athlete can only compete at this meet for four years,” said Dyke.Several years ago, Dyke saw one of his teams being disqualified after one of his athletes was deemed to have competed for more than four years.Meanwhile, George Forbes, competition’s officer of the Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA), is warning schools to ensure that all their athletes are ‘legitimate’ to compete at Penns as he does not want any embarrassment. Forbes recently sent letters to the various principals of the schools attending the meet, reminding them of Penn Relays’ eligibility rules.In the letter, he stated two things:1. No athlete can participate at the Penn Relays for more than four years.2. Eligibility is recorded when the athlete first competes. Example: If the student first attended in 2014, misses 2015 and 2016, then this student’s final eligibility is 2017, even if there is a change of school.In closing, Forbes is asking everyone to do their diligence in order not to cause embarrassment to schools or athletes.