VERSAILLES, Ind. — The Batesville woman accused of murdering her boyfriend’s 3-year-old son back in 2015 started trial yesterday.Jennifer Schooler, 34, was arrested in July and charged with Murder and Neglect of a Dependent Resulting in Death.Police say in August of 2015, Schooler had spanked the boy with a wooden spoon and shoved him into a coffee table on which he hit his head.Police say there was more abuse than that, as he had multiple bruises to his head, leg, buttocks, and arm, a subdural hematoma, retinal hemorrhages, rib fracture, and fractured fingers.If convicted on all charges, Schooler faces up to 65 years in prison.The trial is expected to continue through mid-week.
Norman Charles Sisson, age 74 of Batesville, Indiana passed away on Thursday, April 13, 2017 at the Waters of Batesville.The son of Marcus and Mary Ellen (nee: Hillman) Sisson, was born on December 27, 1942 in Indianapolis. Norman grew up in Greensburg, IN and graduated from Greensburg High School. He served in the US Navy from 1962-1964. Norman married Eunice Sarringhaus-Werner on April 30, 1977.Norman was a tool and die maker for Bohn Aluminum for many years and later he worked at the Greensburg Camera Shop. Norman was a member of the American Legion Post 271, Batesville. Norman loved the outdoors, especially fishing and his pond. He was a bit of a photo buff as well. If you found him on his John Deer tractor you knew he was enjoying the day.Norman is survived by his wife, Eunice, his sister Marcia Sisson along with nieces, nephews and cousins.Visitation will be Monday, April 17, 2017 from 11am until 1pm, immediately followed by the funeral services at 1pm all at Meyers Funeral Home, in Batesville, IN. Pastor Sean Crissman officiating. Burial will follow at St. Paul Lutheran Church Cemetery, Crossroads with military graveside rites.Memorials may be given to Phi Beta Psi Sorority for Cancer Research. Online condolences to www.meyersfuneralhomes.com.
Barcelona ace, Luis Suarez, has paid tribute to Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson. Suarez feels his achievements in the last year have put Henderson on a par with some of Liverpool’s great leaders of years gone by. “When he lifted the [Champions League] trophy, the dream is done but this season I [will be happy to] see him lifting the [Premier League] trophy because he is a really good person. I speak sometimes with him and I said to him, ‘You have a really good chance this season’ and he is so excited.” read also:Liverpool captain Henderson lauds Klopp leadership “We [Barcelona] watch some [Liverpool] games when we can and we see that Jordan, he is the captain from the midfield. “He speaks a lot and for his teammates this is so important, when they have confidence with the captain. For me, Jordan is one of the best captains in Liverpool’s history.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Henderson is the only Liverpool captain to win domestic, European and world crowns at the club – doing all three in the past year. Former Reds teammate Suarez told the Liverpool website: “I am so happy for him because when he arrived in Liverpool they had a not-really-good moment. “He came in from Sunderland and it’s difficult for an English player, when they come to a bigger club. “I think when he had near him Steven Gerrard, he can see how Stevie is, how he is all of Liverpool. I think the best teacher he had is Steven.”Advertisement Loading…
RelatedPosts Omeruo welcomes second child Espanyol all but relegated after defeat by visiting Leganes Omeruo suffers fresh injury Levante is preparing a bid for Leganes defender Kenneth Omeruo.The Nigeria international signed permanently for Leganes last summer from Chelsea and has shone this season. Marca claimed Levante are in the market for a new centre-half signing and has Omeruo top of their shortlist.Leganes coughed up €5 million for Omeruo and will insist on €10 million to €11 million to sell the defender this summer.Omeruo has a contract to 2024 with Leganes and does not require a non-EU spot.Tags: Kenneth OmeruoLeganesLevante
Manchester City have released midfielder Abdisalam Ibrahim. A statement on City’s Twitter account read: “The club can confirm that Abdisalam Ibrahim has been released from his contract. We wish him well for the future.” The 22-year-old Norway Under-21 international, who recently voiced his frustration at a lack of first-team opportunities at the Etihad Stadium, has been linked with a move to Olympiacos this month and has also reportedly been monitored by other Premier League clubs. Ibrahim joined City in 2007 but made just three first-team appearances, all in 2010, including one off the bench in a Premier League game against Liverpool in February that year. Press Association
THE Guyana Telephone and Telegraph Company (GTT) will bowl off its inaugural Tapeball cricket competition today at the National Park tarmac from 10:00hrs.The tournament will involve an unlimited number of teams, according to GTT, providing that teams had registered prior to last Thursday’s deadline. After today’s opening fixtures, matches will be played on July 16 (National Park), July 22 (Uitvlugt Community Centre ground) and the final on July 30 at the GCC ground.$200 000 will be awarded to the winning team, while second-place and third-place will pocket $100000 and $50 000 respectively.The seven-a-side tournament will be played on a ‘win or go home’ basis, until the top two sides remain. According to the rules of the tournament, matches will be played based on entry of teams to each zone or as assigned by the coordinators.Exit from the competition may be the result of losing a match or disqualification. The rules also state that a batsman cannot be given out via lbw; all other forms of dismissal may apply, based on the decision of the umpire. Bowlers are allowed to bowl a maximum of two overs.The tournament comes on the heels of GTT being named the Signature Sponsor of the Guyana Amazon Warriors for the upcoming Caribbean Premier League T20 tournament.Justin Nedd, the company’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO), in a recent interview with Chronicle Sport, had explained that while his entity had taken a ‘step back’ from its usual corporate support to sports and its development locally for the past three years, after some evaluation, GTT is ready to ‘Do More’.
Tyler Lydon doesn’t remember much from Syracuse’s home loss to North Carolina earlier this season. It was nearly two months ago. The Orange has won nine conference games since, and it’s a little easier to think about those wins.But when defending the Tar Heels’ vaunted frontcourt came up — specifically in the high post and short corner — Lydon recalled one specific thing about the Jan. 9 game.In the final 8 minutes and 15 seconds, North Carolina shot 12-of-13 from the field and made 10 shots in the paint. A handful of those in-paint buckets came on one high-low play. A pass to Brice Johnson in the high post, a quick dump down to Isaiah Hicks in the short corner, and a dunk.Johnson, Hicks, dunk.Tic, tac, toe.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“Yeah, we’re really going to look at that play and try to improve in how we defended it,” Lydon said after Syracuse beat N.C. State on Saturday. “I mean we have to look at that.”The Orange (19-10, 9-7 Atlantic Coast) will take on No. 7 North Carolina (23-6, 12-4) at the Dean E. Smith Center at 7 p.m. on Monday, and the backline of its zone will again face its toughest test of the season. While it is UNC’s frontcourt — made up of Johnson, Hicks, Kennedy Meeks and Joel James — that makes it one of the country’s top teams, it’s the Tar Heels’ offensive diversity that can dizzy the zone.Because of perimeter threats like point guard Marcus Paige, Justin Jackson and Joel Berry, the wings of the 2-3 have to manage shooters on the wings and lurking big men in the short corners at the same time. When Johnson gets the ball in the high post, it’s nearly impossible to defend all three options of either shooting himself, skipping a pass to the wing or bouncing a pass into the post.Estella Xian | Design EditorAnd even if Syracuse doesn’t need to beat UNC for an NCAA Tournament bid, an upset over the Tar Heels could all but guarantee one. The chances of SU doing that rest in how well it can defend North Carolina’s multi-pronged attack.“Look, the ball is going to get into the high post. We know that, they know that,” SU shooting guard Trevor Cooney said Saturday. “When it does get there we just need to be active. Guards have to get out to shooters, the center has to press up on the high post and the wings need to drop. It’s not simple maybe, but we know what we have to do.”As Cooney pointed to, there is a formula to defending teams that score all over the court. But there a lot of moving parts: The guards have to go from denying the ball into the high post to locating shooters. The wings have to go from pressing up on those shooters to clogging passing lanes to the short corner. The center has to defend the high post, especially if the player is a threat to shoot like Johnson, but not go too early and leave the paint wide open.After losing at Virginia on Jan. 24, SU head coach Jim Boeheim said his team’s interior defense was “non-existent.” The Cavaliers, which beat the Tar Heels in Charlottesville this past Saturday, worked the Orange inside and out despite having less offensive talent than the Tar Heels.Fifteen days earlier, when UNC beat SU, Hicks came off the bench to lead UNC with 21 points, Johnson had 16 and doubled a previous career-high with eight assists, and Meeks, starting at center, made his return from injury to score an efficient eight points in 14 minutes. North Carolina finished with 46 points in the paint. And that was all while Paige, UNC’s top-scoring guard, finished with three points.The Tar Heels can beat the Syracuse zone in all kinds of ways, and Lydon and his teammates are hell-bent on it not being that same high-low play. The slim possibility of an upset depends on that. The margin for error will be minuscule.“It’s all about the wings and I think we’ll improve there,” Lydon said. “We have to focus on shooters but then make sure we are quick to drop down and defend that pass. We have to always be moving. I think that’s it, always moving.” Comments Published on February 28, 2016 at 10:00 pm Contact Jesse: email@example.com | @dougherty_jesse Facebook Twitter Google+
Facebook Twitter Google+ Related Stories Syracuse community reacts to NCAA Tournament win over DaytonFast Reaction: 3 quick takeaways after Syracuse’s 70-51 blowout of DaytonSyracuse puts 2014 NCAA Tournament loss to Dayton in past with 70-51 win over FlyersGrade Syracuse’s performance against Dayton and pick a player of the gameGallery: Syracuse beats Dayton in Round of 64 NCAA Tournament matchup Published on March 18, 2016 at 3:31 pm Contact Chris: firstname.lastname@example.org | @ChrisLibonati Comments AdvertisementThis is placeholder text After a reporter asked Syracuse guards Michael Gbinije and Trevor Cooney about the criticism of Syracuse’s inclusion in the NCAA Tournament, head coach Jim Boeheim answered before his players could.“Nobody that said we didn’t deserve in knows anything about basketball,” Boeheim said, “so we didn’t think about it. They were just doing it to be cute. We don’t need to react to those things and (Gbinije and Cooney) don’t listen to that stuff.”Check out the rest of what Boeheim, Cooney and Gbinije said after 10th-seeded Syracuse’s 70-51 drubbing of seventh-seeded Dayton.
Source: BBC Sport Chelsea have taken their appeal against a two-window transfer ban to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.Fifa has banned the Blues from signing players until the end of January 2020 and the club failed with their first appeal to the world governing body.It followed an investigation into their signing of foreign under-18 players.The transfer window closes on 8 August and the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) said “it is not possible” to say when it will make a decision.Chelsea have not asked for the ban to be lifted while Cas considers its decision.They signed United States winger Christian Pulisic from Borussia Dortmund for £58m in January, before their ban was imposed in February.Real Madrid’s bid to sign the Blues’ Belgium forward Eden Hazard for a fee of about £88m is expected to be concluded in a matter of days.Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri has said it will be “not be easy” to challenge Liverpool and Manchester City next season if they cannot sign players.The 60-year-old Italian, whose future at Stamford Bridge is the subject of much speculation, said the club need to buy two players this summer.The Blues are also appealing against their £460,000 fine.Chelsea had a number of high-profile players out on loan last season that they can call on, including Tammy Abraham (Aston Villa), Michy Batshuayi (Crystal Palace), Alvaro Morata (Atletico Madrid), Victor Moses (Fenerbahce), Kenedy (Newcastle), Tiemoue Bakayoko (AC Milan) and Kurt Zouma (Everton).They also had dozens of youth players out on loan.
Crystal Palace manager, Roy Hodgson, has heaped praise on top scorer Jordan Ayew ahead of Palace’s clash with Liverpool on Wednesday.The Ghana international leads the scoring for Palace this season with 9 goals so far.Ayew, who is in his second season with Palace, after spending last season on loan from Swansea, has been strongly tipped to be named as the clubs player of the season.Roy Hodgson has lauded the 28 year old for his amazing form this season.“Jordan has been very good. I have seen a constant improvement in his game,” Hodgson said.“He has always had the attitude and desire and now he’s fitting in better and better here.“All the work he has been doing is now being crowned by scoring and making goals,“ he added.Crystal Palace will take on league leaders Liverpool on Wednesday, live on Citi 97.3 FM.