Hiddink back at Chelsea

first_imgLONDON (AP): Guus Hiddink returned to Chelsea for a second spell as manager yesterday, hired until the end of the season with the tough task of turning around the struggling Premier League champions following Jose Mourinho’s firing. As Chelsea beat Sunderland 3-1 under the temporary command of Steve Holland, Hiddink watched from the stands at Stamford Bridge with owner Roman Abramovich and former striker Didier Drogba, who has been linked with a coaching role. Drogba scored in Chelsea’s 2009 FA Cup final win when Hiddink previously filled the Chelsea managerial void for around four months after the exit of Luiz Felipe Scolari. The 69-year-old Hiddink’s latest firefighting role comes with Chelsea only four points above the Premier League relegation zone following an alarming slump just seven months after sweeping to the title. “I am excited to return to Stamford Bridge. Chelsea is one of the biggest clubs in the world, but is not where it should be at the moment,” Hiddink said. “However, I am sure we can all turn this season around.” Chelsea said they viewed the Dutchman as a coach with a “wealth of top-level experience and success”. The club highlighted how fans were “singing his name following our final home game” of the 2008-09 season, but it was Mourinho’s name they were still chanting yesterday. Hiddink’s fortunes have faded since he was last at Chelsea. He quit as manager of Turkey after failing to qualify the team for the 2012 European Championship and did not win a trophy with Anzhi Makhachkala during a spell with the Russian club. He has been out of work since being fired by the Netherlands in June during the latter stages of his country’s unsuccessful attempt to qualify for Euro 2016. He had five losses, four victories and a draw during his year in charge of a team that finished third at the 2014 World Cup under Louis van Gaal, now the manager of Manchester United.last_img read more

Yukon RCMP recover stolen boat reported to Fort St. John police

first_imgSirois is facing charges of resisting arrest and possession of property obtained by crime over $5000. Ms. She has also been remanded in custody with her next court appearance scheduled for July 13th.The boat, which was valued at nearly $80,000 has since been recovered. TESLIN, YUKON – Police in the Yukon recovered a boat on Canada Day that had been reported as stolen to Fort St. John RCMP earlier in the day.Yukon RCMP had received information that the stolen boat may have been on the way up to the Yukon. Police were on the lookout for the boat when it was spotted Teslin. The boat was being towed by a pickup truck.The driver of the truck failed to pull over for RCMP. Police then deployed a spike belt which punctured the two front tires of the vehicle. The truck continued to move until it came to a stop on a dead-end road.- Advertisement -The two occupants inside the vehicle then tried to flee by foot. Both were eventually detained by police dogs. They were treated medically.The accused are 47-year-old Alvin Krieger of BC and 29-year-old Nathasha Sirois of Alberta.Krieger is facing multiple Criminal Code charges including dangerous driving, driving while disqualified, possession of property obtained by crime over $5000, resisting arrest and failing to comply with a Recognizance. He has been remanded in custody with his next court appearance scheduled for July 6th.Advertisementlast_img read more

Migne laments minimal government support

first_img0Shares0000Harambee Stars head coach Sebastien Migne during a training session at the Moi Sports Centre Kasarani on March 19, 2019. PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaNAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 21 – “I hear a lot of things and I read a lot that the government is ready to support us but I am not sure it is the case. There is a difference when you talk and when you do,” – Those are the sentiments of Harambee Stars head coach Sebastien Migne.The tactician is disappointed that the government is not walking its talk as far as supporting the team towards June’s African Cup of Nations (AFCON) is concerned. Migne wants the team to camp in France at least three weeks to the tournament in Egypt but as days go by, the probability that the Football Kenya Federation (FKF) will be able to pay for the training facility in time grows dimmer.FKF boss Nick Mwendwa last week intimated that the government had approved a Sh244mn budget for the team’s preparations for the Cup of Nations, but according to Migne, that promise is yet to be fulfilled.“We had some difficulties with the plane. It seems maybe one detail for the government but in the high level, it is the small details that are important. We didn’t prepare well about this aspect,” Migne said.Harambee Stars head coach Sebastien Migne enjoys a kick about with his players during a training session at the Moi Sports Centre Kasarani on March 20, 2019. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluHe added; “Medical, on the field it was really good. The hotel (Safari Park) it is fantastic to be here. But it’s not enough for the plane if three days before the game it is impossible to know which plane we will take. It is not good. I think it is a lack of respect for the national team.”Stars travelled early Thursday morning to Accra, but the confirmations of the travel itinerary took time and this irked the French coach, known to be a man keen on proper planning and adherence to set targets.Worrying him hugely now is the proposed camp to France and he says it would be a disaster if the country failed to actualize the plan of setting up the European camp where three or four friendly matches are planned.“I can have preparations here, but I think it will be a lack of respect to the players because it will be difficult to get a friendly match here. You have to respect AFCON. We have not qualified in 15 years and now we are here,” the tactician stated.Harambee Stars head coach Sebastien Migne issues instructions during a training session at the Moi Sports Centre Kasarani on March 20, 2019. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluAnd now, the tactician has hinted that he might choose to leave if the working conditions do not improve.“But what can I do? I can’t cry. I will try to adapt but if it’s too difficult for me I will let fall and find another job,” the tactician stated.But, he says he wants to fight to remain in the country and actualize the dream of playing in the Qatar World Cup in 2022, saying he has a special relationship with the players and that is what keeps him motivated to continue working here.“I am a professional. I currently have a contract here and I have to respect it. Clubs and national teams have been calling to ask whether I could be interested. I expect things will be normalized for the future. Since 10 months when I came here, it is not the case. I just hope I am not infront of some liars,” the tactician offered.At the same time, he has called for the improvement of playing facilities in the country saying poor facilities cannot produce good players.He believes there is a lot of young talent in the country, but without playing surfaces, seeing their development would be a tough call.“The main tool for a football player is the field. Sometimes, it is difficult to see the quality f a player because apart from Kasarani, there is no good field in the country,” Migne stated.“Step by step we are trying to discover young players for the future. For CHAN and Olympics team we have a good group of talented players but what’s important is to work with them constantly and develop them. If we can do that at least once a week I think we have a chance,” he said.Harambee Stars head coach Sebastien Migne during a training session at the Moi Sports Centre Kasarani on March 20, 2019. PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu“But it is difficult because we have problems like the one with FKF and KPL. I went to India without players from AFC Leopards and Gor Mahia and it was not good,“We are far but I am sure if we can organize something and if I can work with these players we can do something. It will take time but in about four years we will have a fantastic future for Kenya and we can compete to be among the top 10 in Africa,”“Very soon it will be nine teams from Africa in the World Cup and if we are top 10, it means we are very close. It is a long way but we can’t waste time. We need to start now. I have been pushing for that and it’s not easy,” the tactician stated.But meanwhile, even amidst all the trouble, Migne will look to conclude the qualification phase for June’s Cup of Nations with victory against Ghana in Accra on Saturday. But, he says that match will be an opportunity for him to assess the squad for the final tournament.“I wrote down a list and I have probably 35 names of players that I will use in the AFCON. But we must reduce that to 26 for the Camp and 23 for the final tournament. But I expect to have some answer on some players when we play Ghana,”“It will be a good opportunity to have some new answer for some players who didn’t play with me since I am here maybe David Owino, Massoud (Juma), Mbamba (Christopher)… I will have some answer because I am also thinking of my final list,” he says.Adding; “But we have to go there and compete and it will be important to have a result because of the ranking which will be used for the determination of either pot three or four during the AFCON draw. But more important for me, is AFCON.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Ex-Tottenham star scores in Serie A

first_img Iago Falque celebrates scoring for Genoa Tottenham Hotspur, until recently, haven’t been the best at cultivating hot prospects.A number of talented youngsters, like Adel Taarabt, were signed but a series of managers were unable to get them to fulfil their promise.And that was certainly the case with Iago Falque, a former Barcelona academy star signed from Juventus on loan back in 2011 and then permanent at the start of 2012.The Spanish midfielder only made 11 appearances across all competitions for the club and spent time away from the club temporary spells at Southampton, Almeria and Rayo Vallecano.Spurs did, somehow, manage to get £4million from Genoa for Falque last summer and he’s showing why he might have been worth a bit more patience as he netted his sixth goal of the season in his new side’s derby with Sampdoria on Tuesday night.His strike was the opener in a 1-1 draw, which moves his side to sixth in Serie A, and you can see the tap-in from an M’Baye Niang cross below… 1last_img read more

Class scheduled for examiners of victims of rape

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBasketball roundup: Sierra Canyon, Birmingham set to face off in tournament quarterfinalsThe course will will run from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. June 26-30 in conference room 203 of the Antelope Valley Outpatient Imaging Center building, 44105 15th St. W. The tuition is free for Antelope Valley Hospital employees. Non-AVH employees or outside participants’ tuition is $500 and due upon registration. Deadline for registration is June 19. For questions or any additional information, contact Reina at the SART center at (661) 949-5572. LANCASTER – The Antelope Valley Hospital Sexual Assault Response Team Center will present a course for medical professionals to learn how to become sexual assault forensic examiners for adults or adolescents. The 40-hour course June 26-30 is for people who are physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses or physician assistants. “This course is designed for individuals who are interested in developing their skills as interdisciplinary team members for adult and adolescent victims of sexual assault,” explained Mary Reina, the center director. “By providing the training that nurses, doctors and other health care professionals need, we hope to be able to better prosecute sexual offenders with solid forensic evidence.” Upon completion of the course (and after a preceptorship), the examiner will be able to assess, document, examine, photograph and properly collect evidence from the patient. The examiner will also follow prescribed protocols for sexually transmitted diseases, pregnancy prevention, referrals, and follow-up care. In addition, the examiner will be apprised of other team members’ roles, including law enforcement, the district attorney, crime lab and victims’ advocates. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

JIM AND MICHAEL WOO THE AUDIENCE AT THE LATE LATE SHOW

first_imgCAPTAIN MICHAEL MURPHY QUIZZED MAXI BEFORE THE SHOW – BETTER THAN TUBS?THEY may have only been on TV for less than five minutes tonight – but Jim McGuinness, captain Michael Murphy and the Donegal team wooed the nation on the Late Late Show.And whilst it might have been a very short appearance after a very long trip up to Donnybrook, we did learn something new….the Donegal boys are already thinking of trying to keep Sam in 2013.Dressed in their Evolve Menswear suits and shiny shoes, the lads lined up in front of the camera as Ryan Tubridy quizzed them on the four day bus marathon they have been on around Donegal this week. But we can reveal they also lined up before the game – to take the host’s chair for some souvenir snaps.Paddy McBrearty and Daniel McLaughlin were among the players who got snapped with Sam in the Tubs chair!Michael Murphy told Ryan that they were really enjoying the success of last Sunday.“But we don’t want to over celebrate so we can look at 2013,” he revealed. No doubts then over how Jimmy has these boys focused.And there was a special mention for Mayo with Jim paying tribute to James Horan and his team for their battling display at Croker.Then it was off back to the green room to chill out with the other guests; with Hoops manager Neil Lennon and former Westlife singer Nicky Byrne PADDY MCBREARTY WITH SAM – AND NOT A GIRL IN SIGHT!THIS IS DANIEL MCLAUGHLIN ACROSS THE NATION WHO’S THAT WITH OUR PADDY? NEIL AND NICKY SAY HELLOJIM AND MICHAEL WOO THE AUDIENCE AT THE LATE LATE SHOW was last modified: September 29th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

A DAY OF CRAIC AGUS CEOL AT NEW ST EUNAN’S SOCIAL CLUB ON ST PATRICK’S DAY

first_imgEXCITEMENT is building to what promises to be a cracking St Patrick’s Day at St. Eunan’s GAA Club. The official opening of their newly refurbished Clubhouse at O’Donnell Park, Letterkenny will kick-start a day-long feast of fun.Under the guidance of club treasurer Niall Doherty, a huge team of volunteers have worked tirelessly over the past number of weeks to bring the clubhouse up to a standard that matches the playing facilities at the ground. A complete overhaul has taken place and the Clubhouse is now a modern and comfortable venue.The Club will showcase the new function room on St. Patrick’s Day from 1.30pm onwards with cultural event throughout the day.Everyone is welcome to come along and sample the new facilities or if they so wish to participate in our Traditional Irish evening which will feature an array of local talent. This event will also mark the end of Seachtain na Gaeilge.The Timetable of Events for the Day is as follows; Doors Open 1.30pm.All Ireland Club Finals live on the Big Screen (Hurling 2pm, Football 3.30pm).Music from 6pm to 8pm.Trad. Night/Oíche Ghaelach from 8pm to 12am featuring dancing, singers, musicians and comedy.Official opening on the night will be performed by club stalwart Mr. Adrian Shields. Tea and sandwiches will be served.Entry to this event is free of charge and all are welcome.C.L.G. Naomh Adhamhnáin – Keeping our cultural values and traditions alive.* Is your club doing something? Send your fundraising activities and events to info@donegaldaily.com A DAY OF CRAIC AGUS CEOL AT NEW ST EUNAN’S SOCIAL CLUB ON ST PATRICK’S DAY was last modified: March 16th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:eventsletterkennySt Eunan’s GAA clublast_img read more

MAJOR TRAFFIC DELAYS AFTER BRIDGE SMASH

first_imgGARDAÍ and the PSNI are dealing with major traffic delays after a vehicle smash on Lifford Bridge.A car and a lorry has collided, leading to long tailbacks between Lifford and Strabane.Motorists are being urged to be patient whilst the clear-up operation continues.  MAJOR TRAFFIC DELAYS AFTER BRIDGE SMASH was last modified: May 19th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:car crashLifford Bridgetraffic delayslast_img read more

Hands Named Bulldog Student-Athlete of the Week

first_imgAfter securing the doubles point, Hands then won in straight sets, 6-4, 7-6, at No. 5 in singles. Academically, Hands holds a 3.68 grade point average and is majoring in environmental science. Hands, a member of the Drake men’s tennis team, went a combined 2-0 in singles and doubles to help lead the Bulldogs past Rice University, who is ranked 29th in the latest ITA ranking. Hands and his teammate Barny Thorold beat Eric Rutledge and Jake Hansen, 7-5 at No. 3 doubles to help Drake secure the doubles point, which proved to be the deciding point. Hands and the men’s tennis team travel to compete in-state rivals University of Iowa on Feb. 3 at 6 p.m.center_img About Drake Graduate & Professional ProgramsDrake University offers graduate and professional programs in business, law, health care, leadership, education, public administration, counseling, executive education, and communication. At Drake, students discover proven outcomes, flexible scheduling for working professionals, and career advancement. Learn more about how Drake’s graduate and professional programs can take your career to the next level at www.drake.edu/graduate Print Friendly Version Tom Hands, a sophomore from Fulbourn, England has been named this week’s Bulldog Student-Athlete of the Week, presented by Drake Graduate and Professional Programs.last_img read more

CattleWomen’s Corner: Caribbean ribeye steaks with grilled pineapple salad

first_imgThis recipe for Caribbean ribeye steaks with grilled pineapple salad is from Beefitswhatsfordinner.com.2 beef Ribeye steaks, boneless, cut 1 inch thick, about 12 ounces each3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided2 teaspoons ground cumin Salt1. … 1/4 to 1/5 teaspoon ground red pepper4 fresh pineapple slices, cut 1/2 inch thickOr, 4 to six canned pineapple slices can be substituted for fresh pineapple.1 medium red bell pepper, cut in half lengthwise1 medium limelast_img