Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion Holy smokes, I actually agreed with two editorials in one week by The Gazette.First, the Nov. 14 editorial, “Scheduling goes too far,” was right on the money. Employers in this state face too many regulations as it is.As far as unions go, maybe misguided soul Jonathan Rosen can tell me how I can make up the money, 20 percent that the wonderful Teamsters union cut from my pension. New York should be a right-to-work state. More from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homes Second, your Nov. 19 editorial, “Stop naming things after politicians,” is right on the money.The only thing that Mario Cuomo’s name should be on is maybe New York City’s sewage treatment plant. The only governor worse than him is the present governor, his con Gov. “Creepy” Cuomo.He wants to be president. Zimbabwe has an opening. He would a great tin-pot dictator.Ray WeidmanLatham
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
TVNZ One News 7 July 2016MPs have rejected a call to change the law to prevent under-16s undergoing secret abortions.Taranaki mum Hillary Kieft presented a petition to Parliament’s justice and electoral commission last year.Her 15-year-old daughter’s abortion was arranged by her school in 2010.A report from the committee says about 60 procedures a year are performed on under-16s, and less than 10 don’t tell their parents or caregiver.The ‘best-case’ scenario is that patients have the full support of their parents – but the right not to should remain, the committee found.MPs recommended some changes such as better collection of data on how many teens take up counselling services, increased oversight by the Abortion Supervisory Committee and mandatory after care check-ups with under-16s.“When renewing or certifying a consultant, the Abortion Supervisory Committee must emphasise the consultant’s responsibilities around post-procedure care and the protection of children under-16 who have an abortion procedure,” the report added.The Maori Party disagreed with the findings – and wants the law change, unless a doctor believes there is a health risk.https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/mums-petition-against-secret-abortions-teens-under-16-rejected-mpsMPs turn down petition seeking abortion law changeNewsTalk ZB 7 July 2016A committee of MPs has turned down a request to change the law so parents must be told if a daughter aged under 16 was referred for an abortion, but recommended strengthening post-abortion care and counselling.A petition asking for the law to be changed to require parental notification for abortions of under 16-year-olds was organised by Stratford mother Hillary Kieft, whose 15-year-old daughter had an abortion without the parents knowing. Mrs Kieft told the justice and electoral select committee it was not until after she attempted suicide a year later in 2010 that the Kiefts learned their daughter’s boarding school arranged for the procedure through a family planning clinic and no post-abortion support was offered.NZ First and the Maori party had a minority view, saying parents should be informed unless a health professional decided there was a risk of harm to the child in disclosing it.However, family first director Bob McCroskie said it was ludicrous parents had to give permission for school trips but were kept in the dark if their daughter was having an abortion. He believed it was against the wishes of most parents and criticised the committee for refusing to hear submissions from parent or family groups such as Family First and instead relying only on medical and privacy experts.READ MORE: http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/health/mps-turn-down-petition-seeking-abortion-law-change/MPs reject calls to prevent U16s having abortions without parents being informedStuff co.nz 7 July 2016Parliament has rejected a petition calling for it to be made compulsory that parents be informed if their teenager was to have an abortion.Parliament’s Justice and Electoral select committee has released its report into the petition of Hillary Kieft and six others, that it passes legislation to prevent under 16-year-olds having abortions without notifying the parents.The committee’s decision has been slammed by lobby group Family First, claiming uncited research showed parental notification laws decreased teenage abortions by 15 per cent, and also decreased pregnancies.READ MORE: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/81872910/mps-reject-calls-to-prevent-u16s-having-abortions-without-parents-being-informed
By Tony Steele For more information, call 602 258-RACE or visit www.canyonspeedwaypark.com. Find us on Facebook and all of our social media accounts to stay updated with the latest from CSP! (Twitter – @racecsp ; Instagram – @canyonspeedwaypark). Join our Mailing List to stay up to date with all the latest news and special offers from CSP. Defending champions Chaz Baca Jr. (Modifieds), Speedy Madrid (SportMods) and George Fronsman (Stock Cars) will all look to get a jump start at defending their crowns. There will be an open practice for all divisions scheduled Thursday, March 7 at 6:30 p.m. Pit passes are $25 for adults and ages 11 & under free, as well as free general admission viewing. On Friday, the gates are scheduled to open at 5 p.m. with the first green flag at 7:30 p.m. Saturday will see gates at 5 p.m. and first green flag at 7 p.m. Admission prices are $25 for adults. Seniors (60+) and military are $20 and children 11 and under are free! All-access pit passes are $40 for adults while ages 7-11 are $20 and six and under are free. All minors under the age of 18 must have a minor release form filled out and notarized prior to entry into the pits. The form can be found on the front page of the track website. Free dry camping is allowed and encouraged at the facility. PEORIA, Ariz. – The Spring Showcase will kick racing action off once again at Canyon Speedway Park for the 2019 season Friday and Saturday, March 8 and 9. The IMCA Speedway Motors Weekly Racing point season will begin for the IMCA Modifieds, Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMods and IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars with the big doubleheader.
For all the Latest Sports News News, Other Sports News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. Mumbai: Well-known wrestler Ganpatrao Andalkar died on Sunday at a private hospital in Pune, his son said. He was 83.Andalkar, a former Olympian who took part in the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, had bagged the coveted “Hind Kesari” title in 1960.He also went on to clinch Gold and Silver medals in two different weight categories in the 1962 Jakarta Asian Games.“My father passed away at a hospital in Pune,” his son Abhijit told PTI.Also Read | Priyanka Chopra Celebrates Nick Jonas’ Birthday with cute PDA; Watch VideoAndalkar was also a recipient of the Arjuna award (1964) and the Maharashtra government’s ‘Shiv Chhatrapati Award’ in 1982 for his contribution to wrestling.Kaka Pawar, the coach of Commonwealth Gold medallist wrestler Rahul Aware, termed Andalkar’s contribution to wrestling in Maharashtra as notable.“He had notable contribution in wrestling in Maharashtra,” Pawar said.
Update on the latest sports Bottas wins F1′s season-opening Austrian GP, Hamilton 4thSPIELBERG, Austria (AP) — Valtteri Bottas has won a chaotic season-opening Austrian Grand Prix which saw Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton finish fourth after getting a late time penalty. Hamilton’s penalty saw him drop from second to fourth on Sunday. That meant Charles Leclerc took second place for Ferrari and Lando Norris was third. The race was interrupted three times by a safety car and nine of 20 drivers abandoned. The Red Bulls of Max Verstappen and Alexander Albon both went out the race. F1 DRIVERS AGAINST RACISM Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditMLB-BRAVES-HERNANDEZFélix Hernandez opts out of 2020 seasonATLANTA (AP) — Former Cy Young winner Félix Hernández has opted out of the 2020 season, at least temporarily ending his bid to revive his career with the Atlanta Braves. — Washington Nationals manager Dave Martinez says two players out of 60 tested turned up positive for the novel coronavirus. Martinez says the two players took their tests Wednesday before reporting to Nationals Park and that some are still awaiting their results. Reliever Sean Doolittle minutes earlier lamented not having his COVID-19 test results back from Friday and implored baseball to “clean this up.”— The Chicago White Sox say two players have tested positive for COVID-19 and are in isolation. The team said Sunday that the two unidentified players are asymptomatic, and contact tracing for both was conducted. They are being monitored by team medical staff and will receive follow-up testing in the coming days. They will be allowed to return to baseball activities after they test negative twice and pass other appropriate COVID-19 protocols.MLB-INDIANS-FRANCONAIndians manager backs name changeCLEVELAND (AP) — Manager Terry Francona believes it’s time for the Cleveland Indians to change their nickname. Francona says the Indians should “move forward” and consider a new name. Braves manager Brian Snitker says the 34-year-old Hernández chose to skip the season due to the coronavirus pandemic. A six-time All-Star in 15 seasons with Seattle, the player known as King Felix needed a fresh start following 2019, his worst season. The decision was made after Hernández participated in workouts Friday and Saturday at Truist Park. The Braves announced Saturday that four-time All-Star first baseman Freddie Freeman, reliever Will Smith and two more Atlanta players tested positive for COVID-19.In other virus-related baseball developments: F1 Drivers all wear “End Racism” T-shirts, but 6 don’t kneelSPIELBERG, Austria (AP) — Valtteri Bottas kneeled holding the winners’ trophy at Formula One’s season-opening Austrian Grand Prix on Sunday and the podium trio held up a black T-shirt with “End Racism” written on it. That message was delivered before the race when all drivers wore that T-shirt. World champion Lewis Hamilton, the only black driver in F1, had Black Lives Matter on the front and End Racism on the back. But six drivers did not join Hamilton and 13 others in taking the knee. One of the six, Charles Leclerc, later tweeted that behavior in everyday life matters more than “formal gestures that could be seen as controversial in some countries.” He said his failure to take a knee doesn’t mean he’s “less committed than others in the fight against racism.” Hamilton has spoken widely about racism in recent weeks following the death in Minneapolis of George Floyd in May. July 5, 2020 The American League team has been called the Indians since 1915. On Friday, the team released a statement saying it was committed to determine a “best path forward with regard to our team name.” The move came hours after the NFL’s Washington Redskins announced plans to review their contentious logo and nickname. Last year, the Indians removed the much-criticized Chief Wahoo logo from their game worn caps and jerseys.In other news from baseball’s summer training:— Left-hander Andrew Heaney is expected to make his first opening day start for the Los Angeles Angels. Manager Joe Maddon confirmed his selection before the Angels’ third workout of summer camp. Los Angeles is expected to open the season July 24. The 29-year-old Heaney will be the Angels’ fourth different opening day starter in four years. He went 4-6 last season with a 4.91 ERA and 118 strikeouts while missing time with injuries to his left elbow and shoulder. F1-AUSTRIAN GP
As fraternities on The Row kick off their Welcome Back Nights events tonight, steps will be taken to ensure that participating houses follow guidelines to avoid a shutdown by the Department of Public Safety.Red cups · The Interfraternity Council has created risk management teams to help monitor Welcome Back Nights on Wed. and Thurs. – Photo Illustration by Jennifer Schultz | Daily Trojan New Interfraternity Council President Pat Lauer said one of his key focuses this semester is improving the risk management teams, which include members from each fraternity that are trained by DPS on how to control parties and what to do when certain potentially dangerous situations arise.The risk management program came as a response to the social ban placed on The Row last semester. The goals of the program revolve around the need for better cohesion between Greek members, USC students and authorities.“In the past, a huge problem has been transparency; there was no communication between DPS and the risk management teams,” Lauer said. “We have to show a legitimacy in our ability to self-govern, and I see bettering the risk management program as the way to go about achieving this.”Lauer said IFC will again employ measures that were implemented in the fall, after Welcome Back Nights was shut down in spring 2010.“The problems were the size [of the events] and unwelcomed guests,” Lauer said. “Last semester was our first time using a security company, and we had no incidents, so we decided to do the same thing again [this semester].”Security will be checking student IDs at the doors and making sure there is no congestion in the street. Music volume is to be kept at a minimum and if students are holding red cups outside of any fraternity, The Row risks being shut down, Lauer said.The risk management teams will also be doing walks around The Row along with DPS officials to ensure there is compliance with the rules.As in past semesters, hard alcohol will still be banned and the events will be limited to active fraternity members and USC guests that are invited, which will be left up to each house’s discretion.“The biggest thing for us is controlling Wednesday night,” Lauer said. “I’ve met with [DPS] Chief Thomas and he said they will probably shut down the whole Row on the second night if Wednesday goes poorly.”Lauer said the primary goal of the enforcement is to start off the semester on a good note, avoid social related incidents and keep everyone safe.“It is up to us to control these events so they can trust us to have [them] in the future,” he said.
Published on March 5, 2015 at 12:09 am Contact Liam: email@example.com Facebook Twitter Google+ Julie Wambold stepped to the plate on Feb. 20 against Loyola Marymount with the game tied at three in the bottom of the seventh. Sammy Fernandez, representing the winning run, stood on second base.Head coach Leigh Ross thought to herself, “Just stay focused and trust,” knowing that Wambold had struggled with nerves in the past.Instead of panicking, the senior took a deep breath, counted to 10 and dug herself into the box. Wambold singled up the middle to give the Orange a walk-off win.“At first, I was nervous,” said Wambold, an SU catcher and second baseman. “But then I calmed myself down and got the job done.”Through 15 games so far this season Wambold has 12 RBIs, already halfway to what she put up in 46 games last year. A mainstay in the middle of Syracuse’s lineup since her freshman year, Wambold hopes to maintain her composure and timely hitting at the plate as Syracuse (7-8) travels to play three games against Virginia Tech (13-3, 0-2 Atlantic Coast) this weekend in its first conference matchups.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textEquipped with power and quick hands since first playing at Syracuse in 2012, Wambold’s relaxed mentality has been the main difference for her at the plate, Ross said. In the past, Wambold was harder on herself and was anxious to get hits, instead of having the patience to let the ball come to her at the plate.“I definitely feel more relaxed this year than I ever have before,” Wambold said, “and I’ve always hit in the middle of the lineup since I’ve been a little girl.”In the past, Wambold would lunge out with her front foot at incoming pitches, offsetting her stride and in turn, her balance, Ross said. She was still effective, but wasn’t optimizing her potential.With her new approach, lunging is less of an issue.Employing a breathing technique she learned in one of her sports management classes this spring, Wambold has learned to relax herself by controlling her breath and counting to 10 before stepping into the box.Physically at the plate, Wambold hasn’t changed much in her approach from previous seasons. Danielle Chitkowski, a junior third baseman and former pitcher for SU, used to be terrified to face Wambold even before she developed patience.“She keeps her hands tight on inside balls and then extends and is locked in on outside balls,” Chitkowski said. “Her swing is so fluid and smooth and it’s extremely intimidating as a pitcher or fielder because you can’t do much with it.“I can’t imagine facing her now, she’s so locked in.”A drill that has helped Wambold relax and rely on her mechanics has been a front toss with the use of Nike Sparq Vapor Strobe Goggles. The goggles slow down movement with a constant flicker in the lens, helping her hand-eye coordination and focus at the plate.Chitkowski said she thinks Wambold is the best on the team with the goggles and added that she can barely make contact while Wambold “crushes” the ball during the drill.The increased relaxation and patience has helped Wambold hit change-ups a lot better this season, Ross said. In the absence of anxiousness, she keeps her hands and hips back and explodes through the zone on off-speed pitches in a way she hasn’t done before.Satisfied with the way she’s performed recently, Wambold is insistent that the best was yet to come.“I’ve felt confident lately and it’s helped me immensely at the plate,” Wambold said. “I think it’s only going to get better.” Comments
Joe Schmidt has admitted Jonathan Sexton may need some time off to recover from his latest injury setback.The 31 year old missed the win over Australia with a hamstring strain, and came off injured in both tests against New Zealand.Schmidt says they will explore the possibility of Sexton taking a break from the sport to help improve his fitness.